Heartbroken to Heartbreakers: Chadwick Soccer Teams are Back!

The weather is slightly becoming warmer. Soon the flowers will bloom! But you know what else will bloom? Soccer! After being heartbroken from such close results last year, ending the season win second place for both teams, the soccer team is back in business and is ready to earn the championship this year!

As questions about their progress and predicting results arose, we asked some of the players and coaches of both the boys and girls teams what they think about the upcoming season.

Many people in the CI community predict that this year, we will be able to win the KAIAC championship. What are the actions you all are taking in order to attain that championship? Are there any specific goals?

Nate Kim(‘24):

“As you all know, we lost the KAIAC cup championship for the first time in CI history last year. This year, we are focusing on building team spirit and strong character within the players.”

Thomas Kong(‘24):

“We have been doing morning training sessions for pre-season in addition to afternoon training to get the team prepared. Personally, I am training outside of our team training to get extra work done for preparation. Our goal would be to win every tournament that we participate in this season.”

Coach Allen replied:

“First is making sure we get our processes right: everyone turning up the training, everyone buying into the ethos of the team, getting the culture right in terms of a really good team like brotherhood, and willing to work hard for each other off the field. Then, if we can all get on the same page with that, we’ve definitely got the talent to go very far this year and hopefully get the results from the processes.”

Ashley Yoon(‘25): 

“Absolutely. I agree that we have a very high chance of winning the championship this year as we aim to stay more aggressive and offensive on the field with new tactics. Since we have always been great at defending our goal, we aim to take more risks with changes in our formations and strategies throughout the season.”

Kara Byun(‘24):

“We’re still in the tryout process, so I cannot specifically state things that we are doing to win KAIAC, but this year we will definitely put our best foot forward. The main goal is to make every game and practice count.”

Are there any key points or changes from last year?

Nate Kim(‘24):

“Some changes that are made this year is that we got fresh new players who are highly talented and could play a big role in the team. We also got new freshmen into the team, who are very skillful players.”

Thomas Kong(‘24):

“There are a lot of changes to our team. First, Coach Kely has left after many years with the team. Also, our seniors graduated, and many freshmen joined the team, changing our line-up significantly. I think we have a very strong team that can compete for the KAIAC championship.”

Coach Allen replied: 

“Good question. There’s been a long pre-season of players that have not been involved in other seasons. So we’ve run a select soccer program, and there’s been a lot of dedication through gym work and a lot of afternoon and morning sessions from boys that haven’t been involved in basketball or volleyball. I think a real focus on our tactical understanding has been emphasized this year, even though it’s still only very early stages. But we’ve got a very talented, deep squad of young freshmen to experienced seniors.

Ashley Yoon(‘25): 

“We had a lot of seniors and amazing players leaving from our last soccer season, but we are very confident with our new freshmen and coaches in our team. Also, all of our teammates show commitment and dedication to this team, attending not only our daily practices but also additional practices. With them, I have no doubt about becoming the 22-23 KAIAC Champions. YAHOOOOO!”

Kara Byun(‘24):

“Obviously, seniors have left, so that’s left our defensive positions open, but we have a lot of new freshmen who are really good, so I’m excited to see their potential.”

As the season has just started, do you have any worries?

Nate Kim(‘24):

“Umm… some worries would be making small bits of mistakes when we have the ball, but I’m pretty sure that if we work hard during training, we will be able to minimize the mistakes we made last year.”

Thomas Kong(‘24):

“I wouldn’t say that I have any worries, but I think the most important thing right now would be forming a strong team with a strong bond. Since the team has a lot of changes, I think it’s important to build strong chemistry early in the season.”

Coach Allen replied:

“No, not really. I have a lot of belief in our players. Emphasis is what we’re doing off the field: making sure that our team, freshmen to our seniors, are all equal, look after one another, support one another, and are willing to fight and pick each other up when things get tough. And no assumptions can be made that we’ve got an easy run to a final, as we saw last year. We need to aim a lot higher than what we did last year, not just to win a competition but to win it convincingly. That starts with what I said at the beginning about our processes. So, in our training, how hard we work on our weaknesses, our strengths, and the things we enjoy will be necessary.”

Ashley Yoon(‘25): 

“The only thing I am worrying about is injuries. I sincerely hope no one will face injuries, and if we continue to practice and bond as a team, we will return to the green Chadwick soccer field with the winning trophy.”

Kara Byun(‘24):

“Again, I’m worried because we did have outstanding seniors on defense, but I think our team is good enough, and we have enough potential to continue their legacy and get the KAIAC championship this year.”

Chadwick will be hosting a Korea Classic tournament for both boys’ and girls’ soccer teams on February 24-25th, so if you’re free,come out and support our teams. Go, Wick!