The Student News Site of Chadwick International

CI Press

CI Press

CI Press

Chadwick Partakes in PSPD’s 923 Climate Justice March

(Figure 1. Left. Official poster for the 923 Climate Justice March.)
(Figure 2. Right. Sustainability Council and GIC members with signs.)

On September 23rd, more than 30,000 citizens of all ages and groups, passionately marched through the streets of Seoul. More than 600 different organizations of laborers, farmers, women, the disabled, and more participated. Amongst many environmentalists and inspired figures, members of the Chadwick Sustainability Council and GIC (Greener is Cleaner) walked along with cardboard signs that held impactful messages, such as “I stand for what I stand on,” or “Eco not Ego.”

Our school, by doing so, directly advocated PSPD (People’s Solidarity for Participatory Democracy)’s five ambitious objectives: 1) ensuring everyone’s safety and rights when faced with climate disasters, 2) acknowledging a just transition from nuclear power and fossil fuels to public renewable energy and guaranteeing workers’ jobs, 3) ceasing the privatization of railroads and expanding public transportation to guarantee everyone’s right to move, 4) stopping the construction of new airports that destroy the ecosystem and accelerate the climate crisis, improving the development of national parks, 5) and holding polluters accountable while listening to the voices of the front-line on climate crisis.

The 923 March, otherwise the 923 Climate Justice March which takes place every September 23rd, was particularly exceptional this year. Not only did the event line up with one of the most notable international actions on climate change, but it harshly criticized the current government’s status quo on handling climate affairs. Globally, around 600,000 people joined in to incite substantial change, just in time for September 20th’s U.N. General Assembly and the Climate Target Summit. The 923 Climate Justice March has also voiced strong censure regarding policies and inequalities administered by the Yoon Suk Yeol government. The happening firmly consolidated the need to overcome the profit-oriented socioeconomic system worsening the climate crisis.

It is undoubtedly notable that Chadwick International, as an institution striving to achieve multiple ideas that advance environmental welfare, engaged in an event that clearly aimed to announce rational political, economic, and eco-friendly requests considering the current climate change continues to exacerbate and threaten future generations. Activists wish for the government to tolerantly conform to what was requested and engage on further sustainable action. In similar fashion, Chadwick students hopefully anticipate such positive changes to happen, in order to ensure a promising future for nature to thrive.