9th Graders Find Their Rhythm

CI ninth graders explored dancing for their Creative Movement Unit and performed live in front of the ninth and tenth graders on February 16th

The ninth graders explored dancing for their Creative Movement Unit and performed live in front of the ninth and tenth graders on February 16th. 

This Creative Movement unit only started last year, and it was the first time the performances were live on stage. In this unit, students learned different types of dances, such as tutting and break dancing. They were also taught the basics of tumbling and creating a human pyramid. From these skills, the ninth graders work on a final project incorporating different types of dances, tumbling sequences, dance formations, and human pyramids according to their music and theme. The students were assessed based on their performance and the execution of their plan. 

Although some students had prior experience with dancing, it was the first time for most of them. It was interesting to see students with more experience take the lead in their respective groups. Although reluctantly, at first, all students were able to experiment and mature through this process. 

Danny Okay

Eunbyeol, a talented dancer, described her team’s choreography as a mixture of Kpop, Hip-hop, Performance, Body tutting, Modern Contemporary, Percussion, and Waacking. She described the overall process, “Since I was more experienced in dancing than others, I was worried I wouldn’t consider others’ opinions as much and would demand too much. However, everyone was able to share the spotlight.”

Rena, who performed Heat Waves, said, “There were many heated discussions, but it was more productive this way. Most of our members were diligent, which helped make the process simpler and more fun!” During the days before the performance, many students filled the dance room and gymnastic room outside class to perfect their choreography. 

On the day of the concert, many students were enthusiastic about the performance. Bonyeop, who performed Old Town Road, said, “Our group didn’t have many conflicts. I’m excited to be on stage, but it makes me nervous as well.” It was evident that the students had each prepared a lot and transformed from the first day they started this unit. 

After the performance, the students had diversified opinions. Eunbyeol commented, “I learned how physically demanding dancing is. Dancing helped us strengthen our bonds and communication skills.” Rena said, “In some parts, I felt really proud of myself and our group. On the other hand, I’m slightly reminiscent of the friendship that we created through this project. It was a really fun experience, and I’d like to see the incoming freshman’s performances!”