Preventing Procrastination

Most students can relate to the sense of tension and unease they get when they find themselves doing something unrelated to what they should be doing, such as playing a fun game instead of writing an important essay. From watching television to even cleaning one’s room, procrastination is the act of involuntarily or unintentionally delaying something despite knowing the negative consequences that will arise as a result. As workloads stack up and schedules get hectic, people are prone to procrastination because human beings are naturally inclined to avoid what is necessary and difficult. 

=To uncover how prevalent the issue is at Chadwick International, several students were asked to share their experiences. Lee, a ninth-grade student, matched the sentiment of many when he commented, “I can’t seem to make my body do what it needs to do at any given moment.” When asked to expand, Lee added, “I sit at my desk with the full intention of working on my homework, but then suddenly I find myself browsing unrelated websites for hours on end.” 

Another tenth-grade student, Kim, reported feeling terrible during her frequent periods of procrastination. She explained, “Even in those moments of talking to my friends on the phone instead of doing what I should be doing, I feel terrible inside because I know I am simply adding to my growing stress.” When quizzed on why she cannot simply stick to the task at hand, she replied, “I wish I could tell you the answer. My mind knows what it should be doing, but my body takes control and stops me from doing it.” 

Despite seeming illogical, the reality is that this is the turmoil that a vast number of students experience at important times of the semester. Furthermore, too many students fail to act on this problem, which further antagonizes the issue because it quickly grows into an almost irreversible habit. Rather than simply giving in to a life of suffering at the hands of procrastination, students need to realize that there are steps that can be taken to overcome the problem. Here are some solutions to procrastination. 

1. Set small goals.

When one has too many tasks to complete, it is natural to feel overwhelmed at the thought of having to complete all the tasks at once. This inclines people to procrastinate and try to delay completing tasks until the very last moment. However, setting small goals to break down the big tasks will be helpful in making the job seem less daunting. Having a list of small and achievable goals will help one to gradually overcome the assignment, one step at a time. A key tip in creating these small goals is to understand the fundamental ideas of the project, so one can approach tasks with more clarity and efficiency. 

2. Focus your attention.

The main cause behind procrastination can be seen as the natural instinct to want to do more enjoyable and entertaining activities. However, by focusing on finishing easier tasks first, one can get projects off to a start, which is often the most challenging part mentally. Since those tasks do not take much time and are easy to complete, it provides momentum and inhibits the potential for procrastination to arise.

3. Remove distractions.

Often tasks require many hours of focus, so students can get distracted by electronics, games, and other sources of entertainment. It is too easy and tempting to switch one’s attention from work to playing a fun game, for example. Moreover, as those alternative activities are enjoyable and even addictive, it makes one want to play them continuously. Thus, creating an effective work or study environment can reduce one’s procrastination. Remove any devices, games, or any source of enjoyment that you often feel an attraction to, and block any websites that may distract you from completing your work online. For example, blocking YouTube is a way to stop yourself from wasting many hours watching videos that have no relationship to what you should be doing.

It would be wrong to say that overcoming procrastination is easy. The sheer number of students who fall victim to the problem makes it clear that it is not something to be taken lightly. However, by making the change recommended in this article, students can claim back control of their bodies and make procrastination a part of their past. Not only will they get better grades, but they will lose those agonizing feelings of unease and stress that come with procrastination.